Sunday, May 17, 2009

Wrong Decision...

http://www.cqpolitics.com/wmspage.cfm?docID=news-000003119332

I like Menendez, I voted for him and I think he's generally a terrific Senator but he's completely wrong here. I know he's playing to a rabid demographic in this case. I know he feels he has to pander to their bitterness to win elections. At some point though you have to stop pandering and start doing what's right. We have been torturing the Cuban people for decades now and we haven't hurt Castro at all. We're not going to change the government of Cuba, that's obvious. The only thing we're doing is hurting the regular people who share none of the blame for the situation in their country. If the OAS wants to admit Cuba, they should. We shouldn't keep playing the same old games of the Bush Administration, threatening supposedly independent organizations with money in order to accomplish our selfish goals.